Thursday, November 6, 2008

Something tells me it's all happening at the Zoo...

Bronwen and I met our friends Summer and Owen at the zoo yesterday. I was really impressed with Baton Rouge's zoo. First, it was extremely affordable, and second, it was on the small side which is perfect for a morning trip. Here, Owen and Bronwen prepare to see the animals.
Here we are posing in front of the spider monkeys, who showed us how to pick bugs off your friends and eat them--the bugs, not the friends that is. What can possibly be holding their attention?
An otter!

Bronwen's favorite part of the trip, I think, was getting to ride in Owen's car. She barely noticed the giraffes behind her.I think she liked the elephants MUCH more .And as we were leaving, we fed the biggest goldfish I have ever seen. They were prehistoric. These two black-necked swans came over for some food as well, and as I was leaning over brushing food into the water, one grabbed my finger and bit the #*$&^ out of it. Yes, I got bitten by an animal at the zoo. I have a bruise and everything. Good thing it was not Bronwen!

All in all, a great morning! We made it home around lunchtime, and then we had naps. The only sad part was not getting to see any tigers or lions--the display was closed due to construction. We'll just have to go back!

10 comments:

Babsy said...

How many times have I told you:

The Baton Rouge Zoo is great!

I love the walking layout and the fact that you can spend a half day and still see everything.

Glad you finally took baby B.

Sorry about the duck.

Babsy said...

You know, with all the duck stuff in her room...it is a good thing the duck didn't bite her...trama.

Jen said...

It was a swan, Barbara.

And I agree--poor Bronwen would be afeared of birds for the rest on her life.

Anonymous said...

I love the zoo. Very cute post! It looks like Bronwen really enjoyed the animals.

Your story about getting bit reminds me of one of my first field trips at Middle Creek Elementary. The kids all had name tags pinned to their shirts, and the goats kept snatching them off and eating them. It was not the best of ideas.

Jana said...

What breed of elephant is she looking at? I am confused. I love the zoo too. If you ever come and visit (not holding my breath) I will take you to the Philly zoo. It is the oldest zoo in America and it is awesome! It is on the smaller size too since it is in the city. I promise to protect you from hungry animals.

Jen said...

Sister--I can't believe I have to explain this. You must be tired.

In the picture, she is looking at the donkey.

A donkey is also representative of a certain political party.

She did like the elephants more...which I thought was extremely intelligent of her.

Tiff said...

The otters tend to be my favorite, too! They are so entertaining.

I would like Owen's stroller, too! It has a steering wheel!

Sorry the swan bit you. Ugly duckling doesn't sound so bad now, huh?

I like how B is kind of snearing at the donkey. Papa T must have taught her that ;)

Jana said...

I guess I need to go to the zoo more often since I couldn't even tell that was a donkey...

Babsy said...

Jana- I thought the swan was a duck. There must have been something in that clay we were playing with.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time!! Other than the swan/duck, of course...