Monday, October 29, 2007

Eating!

Bronwen has started eating solid foods! Hooray! Of course, I mash everything up so it is almost a liquid, but it counts.

Our first food? Bananas.

We began the solid food journey with a new bib courtesy of Barbara, aka "Chi Chi." Bronwen was as proud as she could be in her bib and high chair. Yes, we had all the proper equipment for the feeding, but did we have the desire? The physical capabilities? Would Bronwen be able to try something new and accept it readily? Only time would tell. One thing was certain; Bronwen was going to go into the challenge with a positive attitude.

She also had another cheerleader on the side lines.



Yes, Cassie was right there, watching all the drama unfold from her perch high above. She wanted to make sure Bronwen could handle the gauntlet that had been thrown down before her, and was, at the same time, hoping that some of that gauntlet would drop on the floor for her own dining pleasure.

So it began. I took a few pieces of banana and mashed it in a bowl. I dipped my finger in to use as a utensil--since Bronwen is familiar with the size and texture due to previous experiences. The banana went in and...

She wasn't quite sure what to make of it. She felt the banana in her mouth, moved it around a bit with her tongue, and decided to try a bit more.Her mouth opened wide, and she bravely waited for the next batch of mashed banana. After several more moments of tasting and feeling the newness of non-milk food, Bronwen decided...

She liked it! Granted, quite a bit of banana juice spilled down her chin, but more was swallowed than not. At the end of the feeding session, I cleaned her up, and she was quite satisfied. Bronwen faced a new challenge and completed it admirably. That's my girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! Bronwen you make me proud. I note that your first food rhymes with your favorite relative's name. Coincidence, I think not!

ps have I ever told your how darn cute you are?

mimi said...

I don't think it's a coincidence that the first food Bronwen eats results in a favorite pastime of her Daddy. Pffffftttttt