Sunday, September 21, 2008

My One Remaining Tomato

The Fate:
The Backstory:

I planted two tomato vines this year, fully expecting to have a plethora of ripe, juicy tomatoes all summer long. Alas, it was not meant to be. I would get flowers, but never any fruit! It was quite frustrating. I did have one tomato that turned yellow and was on its way to reddening, when a rogue squirrel swiped it, ate half, and left the remaining half on the fence to taunt me.

Imagine my surprise when after Gustav, I went to check my blown-about vines and discovered yet another tomato! It was green, but it was growing. "Yippee," thought I! Then, as the Mr. McGregor fates would have it, another "squirrel" snuck into my garden and stole it away! That was it--I pulled up the vines and gave up for this year.

The culprit:

She isn't sorry she did it.Here she works on taking a good bite:She was a little surprised that I caught her in the act.
"Hey Bronwen, what do you have?"
RIP, dear tomato. Maybe I'll try again next year.

5 comments:

Babsy said...

Adorable. Just adorable.

Anonymous said...

Just be glad that she's eating her veggies!!!!

mimi said...

Oh dear, I must confess that when Mimi was babysitting she may have pointed out said green tomato to her most observant charge while playing out in the garden. While I don't remember specifics of the conversation, words like yummy and um, um good may have inadvertently been spoken. But Bronwen probably didn't remember any of that, right??

Jana said...

Sparkles you know she is advanced!!!

Tiff said...

Put some of your basil on that tomato... yum!
Or fry it! YUM YUM!