Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Toad Detectives

One of my favorite things to do with Bronwen on these hot summer nights is to take her on a toad hunt. She loves walking up and down the neighborhood in her jammies, looking for toads. Luckily I always have an ace in the hole, because we have a nice, fat guy who lives in the backyard and comes out each night. So far our success rate has been 100%, typically seeing 3-4 toads each time we look.

Bronwen has elevated the game to a whole new level. She has informed me that we are detectives and we must look for clues. When I asked her what kind of clues, she says toad clues. The following are "toad clues:"

something that hops
something that is dark green
something in the grass
a toad

Yes, apparently the toad itself is a clue. I hope she remembers these nights, calling me "Detective Mama," stressing over and over how "You must look for clues!" when we go on our hunts. It doesn't even matter that we are out there until 9 some nights, when her bedtime is 8...it is totally worth it.

3 comments:

mimi said...

I think we have another generation who will be into Nancy Drew Mysteries. Perhaps even a new title: The Croaking Toad Mystery?
Bronwen you are so smart!!!!

Jana said...

I love this story! It sounds like so much fun. I agree with Mimi, I think we have found a taker for the ND collection.

Anonymous said...

So sweet!